Sunday, May 12, 2013

Today is Mother's Day. And I'm as far away from Mom as I have been in a long time. In fact, I can't remember the last time I wasn't with Mom on Mother's Day.
Although I have a heavy heart, I know the woman in the nursing home wouldn't know me even if I was there. Just to satisfy my own conscious, I mailed a card from me and a card from Gigi and Lizzie. I know Mom wouldn't understand, but at least that silly sister of mine will get it.
We are in a new house and we are enjoying it very much. Although I've been here for a while, I'm still unpacking. It has lots of windows and just enough room to raise some flowers and tomatoes. I just planted nastursiums and lavender today. My strawberries are blooming and making berries and my geraniums are trying to grow back from when the deer ate them. I've put tobasco sauce out every night and so far it's kept the deer away.
I've thought about past Mother's Days when Mom would so enjoy a trip up to Mount St. Helens and we'd enjoy some really good food and a beautiful drive. We'd usually joke about not seeing any elk, although everyone says there's lots up there. I think they hid every time we'd make the trip.
I have lots of fond memories and photos of Mom looking at the mountain and with the mountain in the background. Thank God for those memories.
I also remember a lot of fighting with Martha about who would drive and who would pay for Mom's meal. Why did she want to make every holiday so damned miserable?
As I unpack things trying to make this house a home, I think about what Mom would do and how Mom would arrange things. She will be with me forever.
I love my home and I love Colfax. I thank God He directed me here. I thank God for my job which I love more every day.
I can't thank God enough for all He's done for me and continues to do every day.
I am going to walk in the Relay for Life in July and I have a college reunion in July at Fort Wright in Spokane. I even volunteered to make dinner one night. I am so looking forward to seeing friends from all over the U.S. I am trying to get involved in the Alzheimer's Walk here this fall, but I may just walk and try not to get really involved.
I still haven't been strong enough to go to Mass. I just don't want to see the inside of that church and I know that must seem silly, but that's just the way I feel.
I think I'm still losing weight. My clothes are getting so big that I'm having to give away a lot of them. I still have a long way to go. I have this chicken neck thing going on that I hate but maybe that will go away one day.
Thank you Lord for every thing. Thank You for my Mom, the one I love and remember. Thank You for all those memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment